Friday, July 12, 2019

Week 28 : Handbraking the heart-rate's hurry.

Post #508
6/7  Ripper ride.
I'd hardened up to head the crew out of town on Saturday, the heart rate heading to the heavens for some reason, so rather than ruin the rhythm, I soldiered on to Sanctuary's roundabout with TatPaul alongside, the b.p.m.'s slowly dropping from 185 to a more comfortable 150.  Rocket and GiantAndy advanced for their donation, TatMat, Shorty, The Godfather, Kel, Bruce, Tina, PistolPete, Col, MyRideTrev, Bo, TrekTrev and Joe all lined up behind for their go at the front (or a cosy sit in the caboose for some).  How many layers of insulation was the choice of chat, 9 degrees had many thinning their kit but the "feels like four" made that decision regrettable. An east northeaster was evident as we turned east into Mitchell Rd (glad I got my bit done beforehand) so the others could enjoy the fun of belting into a headwind. A roadside magpie reminded us of the soon to come season ducking those hell bent divebombing birds, if we make it through July's wicked weather!  The Godfather faced the front and applied his (habitual?) handbrake setting off the sledges, the turns rolling a little shorter as that wind took it's toll.
I was back at the business end before I knew it, TatMat tapping a tough tempo to pair with (and I thought he'd be a bit softened-up after Friday's epic 160).  I'd managed to do the last k of River Rd without a heart rate Hiroshima, TatPaul my partner for the first few hundred of Boundary Rd.  Sheltered in the down-line was a trophy after a turn, TrekTrev on his way to the rushin' front in a very different world after several weeks suffering cbf syndrome.
Half the bunch was in the gutter 'cause the drivers at the front hadn't read the wind, what I thought was a natural instinct seems to escape some, caught up in the moment I guess?  ('tis a shame those few basics of bunch behaviour aren't second nature).  Unperturbed by a headwind, PistolPete's power to the Toaster had the masses mute, I'd been promoted to the front again with TatMat to drive to the church, encouraging words preventing me from pulling the pin short of New Dookie Rd.
TatPaul played fair again to the rail line, Rocket and Bo towing us to the Big Ring before the swing west back to town. Mmmm….no sign of Cats?  With wind up the Khyber and no longer blowing between the ears, spirits lifted (as did the speed), a cacophony of carbon creating music for the ears.  GiantAndy did his Lemnos exit to keep bread on the table (and tyres on the bike), we entered Ford Rd to find felines in few numbers finally on their way.  (a spill had brought down several, Jodie scoring a broken ankle and Sprinter cracking a few ribs.  Hopes for a quick recovery folks!)  MyRideTrev and Shorty took the Verney Rd deviation to breakfast (was it a caffeine craving or Wanganui worries?), I'd reached the rear of the bunch and opted to be towed to town, but the hunger for hurry to the hill was strong in others.  Rocket, Pistol, Bo and TatMat ramped up the rush while many hoped the excitement would soon evaporate, the bunch collecting in Rudd Rd for an almost social spin to breakfast.  Some split to Stanley's (a touch contrary to the camaraderie) but eight ate at the Lemontree swapping sentences on power outages, layering for temperature and the sublime sound of a vee eight.

9/7  Fourplay.
Two days off two wheels and the legs were already rusty, thirty was a thrash to reach the carpark which didn't auger well for Tuesday's 5:40 fling.  It's down to the die-hard now, just Kreeky, Kel and Bo with the tenacity to turn up.  I was pleased to be fourth in line and pleased Kreeky was first to set the speed, headlights slicing south into Archer Rd's darkness and settling into mid thirties.  Comfort was almost found cutting through seven degrees and we were certainly relishing a breezeless circuit for a change. Through Sanctuary's roundabout and Kreeky was still towing the train (long haul shifts seem to be flavour of the month).   Over the truck route and Kreeky still led the line, though half a k later the tell tale sign of a slowly sinking speed told me his tank was emptying.  His elbow put Bo into the drivers seat in Mitchell Rd, and guaranteed there'd be a show of stamina to follow, I settled in for his feature length turn.  Across to Central Kialla Rd and up to River Rd, I was guessing Bo'd peel off at the River Rd bridge  but his speed only spiced up a bit.  Past Laws Drive, through the dip and onward to the quarter horse stud, Bo had the bit between his teeth, at least I was well warmed up before my flap at the front.
 Bo finally relinquished the lead when we turned north into Boundary Rd, me sitting second wheel at Kel's pace was noticeable harder work (but we're not here for rest are we?)      Mrs. Smoooth took us to the Broken bridges, elbowing me to the lead, great to have a little downhill to start my shift but the highway seemed to be an eternity away.  Thoughts of putting in a long shift quickly evaporated, reaching Channel Rd had worn down the wattage and I reckoned I'd reach the highway just before my tank emptied (shying from a longer turn didn't bother me, I was leading my age group anyway!)  Kreeky was back in the hot seat and keen for another big shift, to Old Dookie Rd wasn't enough so he stormed on to Central Ave as proof of performance.  Looks like I'd had my one and only shift and was to be treated to a tow home.  Bo finished the circuit with a spike of speed into town (a passing truck's tow too good to refuse), our paths parted in town, coffee for them and coalface for me.


10/7 Le peloton petite.
Wozza played fast but fair when I braved the front for the two k drive to Sanctuary's roundabout, hoping to have something left for the k beyond.  With a poor peloton population and few prepared to front early for duty, I'd jumped in the deep end for Wednesday's ride, knowing Wozza doesn't bite.  Through the roundabout I found just enough
pace to roll across, grateful to have Kreeky's considerate company cranking to the truck route, the tow as Bo, Grumpy and Bruce advanced handbraking my heartrate's hurry.  Turns would roll around rapidly with just 10 in the team, take away Tina, MyRideTrev and Joe comfortable in the caboose left just Kel, Bo and Shorty remaining in the driving division, so it'd be a bit more than a one turn tap today!   Shorty and Kel copped the niggling northerly through Central Kialla and up to River Rd, another turn due for me after Bo and Wozza's shift to the bridge.  My 1100 metre shift started high in hopes and brimming with bravado, but 'ol mate reality had brought me down to earth with a thud by the dip. 
Kreeky was kindly compliant as my head tried to wave the white flag, forcing another 500 metres out of the legs (still happy to hurry) till a sense of survival said to call Kreeky over.  (here's hoping that was long enough to avoid Boundary Rd's headwind)  Bruce a was on for a chat but I needed to socially snub him, oxygen demand for breathing over-ruled talking!
 Shorty and Kel again had the breeze to bear in Boundary Rd to the Broken bridges, Bo and Wozza coming to the rescue towing us all to Channel Rd.  Orchards sheltered me matching Wozza to the S bend, a trio of ambling ducks sent startled skyward as we worked west.  Kreeky again paired for part two, the k to the cypress trees toiled with the vastus lateralis on fire (but guessing that would be my last labour for the lap).  Bruce put some heat into the hurry to the Kinder and Bo took to the ChaCha in his favourite role as train driver but Wozza's wattage into the mid forties showed us how it's done to the finish line.

11/7  Robinson Crusoe?
Feels like 1.6 degrees, dark, a brisk northwester and a damp road..... all the ingredients for an early Thursday spin!  A pre-goat grind to the golf course and east on Wanganui Rd limbered the legs, guessing there'd only be a few enthused to tap a lap in these conditions.  Awakening the Garmin at Grahamvale Rd the northwester made it's presence felt on the return to town, sighting Tina (the only committed Cat) departing the Notre Dame grid.  Mmm, me thinks Goats may be very scarce today.  Six am at Friars and the silence was deafening, the empty grid spelling a second solo effort.  Free of bunch expectations or pressures, I let the wind blow me out of town in the low thirties, reckoning I deserved a tame tap around considering all others had sunk to softness!  Small branches to dodge told of overnight winds nearing 70, soon steering south onto a desolate Boundary Rd to cop the wind at the flanks. There'd be work to do heading home.  To Channel Rd and west into the wind, something stirred in the competitive corner of the cranium to set a speed standard to town, the 24 km/h gusts making sure it was nothing to brag about.  Plenty of puddles on the ChaCha gave me a cleaning task for later and being blown about on the open sections made any shelter welcome (where's that slow moving truck to draft when you need it?), so getting back into town and getting my breath back put a little luxury into the lap.

12/7  A day off work, a freshly cleaned bike, the tank filled and all kitted up ready for the Friday spin (and a bit extra in the daylight), the heart suddenly sank finding fine misty rain as I stepped out the door. Reluctantly, I pulled the pin, a ride would have to wait till Saturday.....

Week 28      172km       YTD 7,171km        






No comments:

Post a Comment