Friday, September 11, 2020

Buying a bucket-full.

Post #562

5/9  The distance disorder.



So much for a clean bike!  The 4am drizzle had dampened the road but Saturday's freedom was waiting.  I didn't have tis bike built for me to wrap up in cotton wool, so I got the wheels turning on a path an obsessed mind mapped the day before.  Bunches were still banned and a different course was essential to distract me from the somewhat scary state of riding solo.  Westward to Mooroopna in the wee small hours then beyond Ardmona, I steered away from that track to Merrigum (it had all the appeal of rearranging the sock drawer) and pointed north to the metropolis of Gillieston (2 houses at an intersection).  The sun struggled to pierce the wintery clouds but there was enough light to search for McKenzie Rd (a road not ridden before).   


The skinny strip of tarmac was about to turn to gravel 1500 metres onward, the sealed Davies Rd appearing to save me from doing something dirty.   A k north found the Lancaster Rd to steer west toward Kyabram, the sun cresting the clouds lifting the mood of the day.  15 minutes worth of steady spin got me to Kyabram's outskirts to choose Bolitho Rd and spin south.  Proper spring sunshine and 10 degrees made life good, swapping a wave of understanding with a young lass keeping it real on a road bike as our paths crossed. 


By Brewer Rd there was almost a Melbourne moment, clouds had crowded to curtain the sun, quickly turning that sense of spring into a mid winter mood, now pushing into a bleak southeasterly breeze toward Merrigum Rd.  Something stirred  the emotions to fight the way home, could it be the Strava scrutiny later, the sense to stoke some self worth, maybe its the need to make the average less average or the craving for caffeine that's the trigger to to dig a little deeper than previously planned?  Those oh so subtle rises to the channel bridges felt like catagory 2 climbs, burning the vastus medialis and the tibialis anterior in the effort to maintain pace.  


Strangely, the odd magpie had stood staring at the roadside rather than assuming the role of Kamikaze pilot.  The smooth tarmac to Byrneside made a little peace with the posterior,  a few moments off the Fizik felt justified after 70k. I was soaking up the canola aroma when few taps on the helmet said magpies meant business, turning onto the Midland's glossy grey ribbon of highway stretching into the distance.  There was hardly a car passing but plenty oncoming did their best to blow me backward, the thought that this may delay coffee lowered the head and sharpened the resolve to drive on.  


The desire to draft a passing fleet of B doubles was answered with a single Nissan Micra overtaking (yeah, thanks for that!) but pig-headed stubborness kept the throttle open back to town.  Jase, Shorty, TrekTrev, Grumpy, Superman, The Weapon and Joe (not Tony) were found chatting over  Butter Factory's coffee, guesswork on the lifting of lockdown and a bit of MTB mumbo jumbo keeping tongues busy as I filled with fruit. 



7/9  Facing facts on fast.

The slim hope of reaching Sanctaury's start-line on time kept the pace up early Monday, so I was well warmed up (3 degrees that felt like 0.8 ; and it's meant to be Spring!) at the roundabout and on schedule.  But there was nobody there!  A quiet roll around for 3 minutes found Kreeky, PistolPete and Col, so Kreeky and I departed as bait for the followers.  


We'd changed order from Friday's foray, Kreeky doing the opening act to Mitchell Rd and my first appearance bearing east on Mitchell, just as a breeze sprung up to squash my speed.  I had better contemplate Rule #5 if the usual shifts were taken, I'd get 2/3rds of River Rd to suffer.  Sighting a pair of led's in pursuit as we turned east put the pressure on, though the line of trees to the bridge made pace possible.  A glimpse at the Garmin showed a reasonable rate of knots till Wozz and Rocket shot past ('aint reality cruel!)  Kreeky took charge and rove long to the quarter-horse stud while we watched the Rocket and Wozz procession hurtle to the horizon.  With a bit of breath back I could face the front when Kreeky called it quits, but that final 2k of River Rd looked way longer from the drivers seat.  Kreeky was kind in slowly building speed as he captained in Coach Rd so my rubber legs could catch his wheel, another pair of lights now following keeping us both keen.  Pistol and Col made good ground and passed us nearing Channel Rd, though we'd pegged them back when they were delayed at the highway.  I took a turn for Krreky to compose himself, the draft from Col and Pistol, even from 10 metres back, too hard to resist.  We had not protest to being towed.  Col's slightly subdued speed to Pistol's pace made it possible.  With 3k's of respite, PistolPete had plenty of wattage to drive west on Old Dookie Rd, Col appeared to struggle catching his wheel so Kreeky and I moved forward to donate a draft. You wouldn't think Pistol's fate was on a knife-edge just 16 weeks ago, his pace possessed to Central Ave before relinquishing the lead.  Kreeky offered his services to drag us back to town, though Col and Pete hung back till passing when we'd cleared the roundabout.            

8/9 Liberating legs. 
Had the tide finally turned? Tuesday's temperature gave a hint the season had swung, 13 degrees had liberated legs from the layers after 13 weeks of insulation, even finger-less gloves came out of retirement. (caution kept the base layer and arm-warmers on though.  I don't trust the season yet!) Sanity dictated a different direction, that same-old same-old circuit would cost me a fortune in therapy!

A 14k drive out Barmah Rd toward Bubartha almost into a nasty northeaster (19-26 km/h) would be a precursor to pain headed east to Tally.  I'd occupied the left 700 mm of tarmac when a truck performed a master class pass as I passed Zeerust Rd, plenty of space given, indicators right then left and wasn't that drag a delight! ; how pleasant it is to deal with a professional rather than the brain dead "pay-rego-ya-bastard" fraternity.   After a 20 minute slog, the optimist within turned me a bit early into what I thought was Bowey Rd, but it was a road too early, turning to gravel. Bit further old boy.    Two k's onward found the right way toward Tally, almost a mountain stage in the first 3k with ups and downs of a dizzying 3 metres elevation.   Hors catagorie 'round here!   The tarmac flattened beyond Zeerust Church Rd but it was exposed to that northeaster, a scarlet horizon a good distraction to the distress of maintaining 30 k's per hour. Those few k's to Tallygaroopna dragged on and on, but perseverance paid off as the little township of 579 grew large. 

There's something odd in the water here, cows have stripes.  The highway was sparse but my aim was further east on Victoria Rd, a route I was beginning to regret. That wind wasn't waning. Legs and lungs were.  10 minutes of torture to reach Katamatite Rd seemed much longer, maybe because a tailwind was waiting to carry me back home, the salvation in a line of trees stretched south west just that little bit further ahead.   30k's of pain to get 18k's of pleasure ; I'd messed up my mathematics somewhat.

  Wind will be September's curse, better get accustomed to it, or stay in bed! The chain made mates with the 14 sprocket and legs were finally in a happy place, 12k's to Congupna on the thinning edge of the road while commuting traffic were generous with their space. (I was mindful mind you of being sandwiched between southbound and northbound crossing paths)   Beyond Congupna a real emergency lane as smooth as Boof's head made the 5k home a fitting finale.


9/9  A change of course.
In a complete about face, spring winds turned to south southwest for Wednesday, so the commute to the car park was cruel.   I don't recall pouring premium unleaded on my porridge 'cause the old engine managed the labor fairly well.  I even arrived early.  Predictably, Bruce, Boof, GreatScottSteve and Kreeky rolled in, but odd numbers put pairing in a pickle.  Bruce and Boof were better matched so once they'd rolled away I took turn one with GreatScottSteve and Kreeky (responsibly distanced) behind. 

Mitchell Rd roadworks had returned us to the ye olde Channel-Boundary-Ford-Wanganui course, the slick, smooth surface of Channel Rd's hot mix making a svelte start to Kensington's roundabout, real wattage wanted for the next 2k to the truck route.  Again, the first shift's the longest!   The old engine ran ok to Doyles, handing over to GreatScottSteve to do leg 2 to Orrvale Rd (ahh, the memories recalled of the shifts of old).   Kreeky captaining the ChaCha leg made me realize I'd get the head-wind in Central Ave. HTFU Foss, it's only 600 metres of masochism! Good grief, I was still running on all cylinders on the east swing toward the cypress trees so the rest of the shift was almost cruisy.  GreatScottSteve took on the turn to Boundary Rd preserving prior pace, the recovery sitting a few metres back not the best recipe for respite.  All in the cause for conformity.  Kreeky called directions as this circuit was foreign to GreatScottSteve, and that got me thinking how quickly he's risen the ranks from newbie to knocking on division 1's door.  Boundary Rd was bliss, that south southwester sprinting our speed north though Bruce and Boof's tail-lights were just dots on the horizon.  A few other bikes had paired to push south, the ever earlier light almost allowing an i.d.    I was given a leadership role over the highway and really lapped up that breeze at the backside, just lovin' the high 30's with the ticker settled in the low 140's (usually right on the red-line)   Let's not get too greedy with that tail-wind Foss.  

I elbowed GreatScottSteve to the front as we crossed Old Dookie Rd, retiring rearward as Kreeky confirmed the course to town for the sake of GreatScottSteve.  Duty called on me again as we swung west into Lemnos-Cosgrove and I wasn't looking forward to the west bit of the south southwester.  Well, surprise again, I managed a satisfactory speed.  I felt a tad cocky making good pace, I hadn't felt this form in a long time, and wasn't sure where it had come from.  Perseverance?  Time into the wind?  Plenty of k's?  Premium unleaded maybe?  Wish I knew really, I'd buy a bucket full! Almost tempted to do a double shift, but reality suggested I give in while the going was good, reality would probably bite me soon enough.  Coggo and Belly appeared in the early light tapping east as GreatScottSteve took us to Lemnos North Rd, then Kreeky headed the hurry to Grahamvale.  Work at the front was due again and shelter was there to help, a pleasing push to get to Verney but Kreeky and GreatScottSteve played the caution card for a car approaching the roundabout.  I slowed to keep us at close (but conformed) quarters, the ease making an extended drive to Numurkah Rd possible.  GreatScottSteve took on Wanganui Rd, Kreeky left to draw the short straw of Rudd Rd's headwind.  Lucky me scored the shielded Boulevard to finish.

11/9 Girls and boys playing chasey.

Insomnia had me ready to ride early Friday, the chance to commute calmly to the car park savored as a treat.  Tina, Joe (not Tony), Kel and Kreeky arrived, pairing posing a problem again with an odd one out.  Kel and Tina played the bait disappearing into Channel Rd, Joe (not Tony) and Kreeky in pursuit a half dozen moments later as I fumbled a foot to engage in a cleat.  That scored me a sprint to catch  the draft at a Covid conforming distance.  The northeaster wasn't wearing down Tina or Kel taking turns at the front along Channel's 8 k's, Joe (not Tony) and Kreeky (a gap back) with just a hint of help from their draft.  That perfect pace (bang on my aerobic limit) continued, Kel swapping with Tina and Kreeky taking over from Joe, so I had breaths to spare arriving at Boundary Rd.  We'd been treated to a tow all the way to the fig farm, a sense I was turning into a wheel-sucker prompted me to the front for a contribution.  That wind wasn't brutal but it felt like 2 clicks of the handbrake on speed. 

I was a bit optimistic to cruise to New Dookie Rd, the throttle was nearly wide open to get there.  Joe (not Tony) took the lead to Lemnos-Cosgrove Rd, not quite positioned to shelter those behind but I guess reading the breeze will be a skill tuned with time.  And that breeze was shifting.   Kreeky had the drivers seat for the west way to town, the now east northeaster almost directly at our backs to hurry us home.  Kreeky had read it perfectly, poised up the road a fraction to counter the fraction of northerly.  Enthusiasm (turned on by the tail-wind?) drove him to Lemnos North Rd, handing me the reigns to reach Grahamvale Rd.  Kel and Tina had eyes on a short-cut to coffee via Verney, so safety in numbers turned all south (somewhat separately).    Oh, for the bonding of the bunch.  Sometime soon?

This week 259 km      YTD 7,399 km    

1 comment:

  1. Bryan, I must have done something wrong before so I will try again. Great writing and as always you make me laugh! That Butter place seems super yummy! Keep writing and I will keep reading!

    ReplyDelete