Friday, March 19, 2021

Such a pleasurable pain.

 Post #590

13/3 Sociology.


Just a little tail-wind assistance to Saturday's start-line put the head in the right frame, a mild nineteen degrees helped too.  (this may be the last till Winter's done it's worst and October brings us hope again.  Ah, the joy of all those layers and frost nipping at the extremities till then!)  The spin south was without stress, worries about the wheel I might be on, if I'd hang on to the hurry or which way we'd fight the wind was of no concern, it's the social stuff that counted today.  Bo, Molly, The Godfather, PistolPete, Kreeky, Tina and Emil made up the Sanctuary squad (the shop collective too swift, the Woulda's a little sluggish ; at least there's a choice!)   PistolPete had a mid thirties stranglehold on speed for Molly's sake ; several weeks away from the Saturday spin had softened her will to take a turn too, retreating to the caboose on the turn into Mitchell Rd.  Emil  made the two k trip to Euroa Rd pass quickly, the north northeaster a niggle if I stuck my nose out of the draft.  I'd get some of that for my shift north to River Rd.  

Trying to ignore that expected target or maintaining the prior speed is nigh on impossible (I guess you like to "measure up" to the mob to feel part of it) though I was intent to have something left at the end of the shift and not sound like I was in the middle of an asthma attack.  Bo faced the front to the River Rd bridge (there's that expected target again), Tina his back-up to tow us east to the dip.  

The Godfather's "entertaining" turn toward Coach Rd had the rearmost in the right gutter.  Bo's objections fell on deaf ears of course.   I wonder if it's a deliberate "stir of the pot" or is the sense of wind direction truly absent?  (Wouldn't be the only one)  The banter to and fro was certainly amusing.  Kreeky set the speed and direction in order north on Coach Rd, quite the contrast in comfort from the tail-end perspective.  That wind was slowly shifting to northeast as Pistol headed the line north of the highway while I pondered when and where my next turn was due (Preparing for pain if you like)   My guess Emil would do the east drive to the Toaster came true, but he'd done a great job of toasting me getting there (nice guy mind you.....but blessed with a bit too much horsepower).  Great hopes of a great shift were drastically shortened, the Pine Lodge Church was my limit.  

Bo did the driving to Lemnos-Cosgrove Rd, Tina getting to enjoy the northeaster's assistance for the west way toward town.  A sizable collection of Cats cruised east on their sedate Saturday spin.  The Godfather's middle-of-the-road position again caused complaints but he'd slowly corrected course as the speed spiced up.  Kreeky took command beyond Boundary, the symphony of the shop squad's wheels at work passing us as we'd approached Lemnos North.  Appropriate sledges were exchanged.  There were no attempts to jump on, PistolPete kept our crew contained and captained to Grahamvale Rd.  Emil's enthusiasm was eroding me by Numurkah Rd, I thought I could tame the pace a little in Wanganui Rd but he was still keen to be captain. (the caution being called for excavations ahead didn't calm his pace either)  I was content with high thirties, his sprint to the hill going unchallenged.  A spin along the Boulevard below warp speed made a comfortable conclusion, the breakfast babble on bill payers, policing predicaments and cafe choices.

15/3  Tenacity. 

I'd jinxed myself speculating winter was near.  Monday arrived bringing "feels like 4" with it.  That'll teach me! (I could already hear the squeals of the soft as they clutched their doona's in fear.)  I turned the cadence up a notch to generate a little more warmth to Sanctuary Drive.  Bruce and Lenny were special guests today, few were expected at the shop with many of their main players away.  The ever faithful PistolPete, Kreeky, Tina, Kel, Bo, The Godfather and Emil rolled in for the 5:40 launch and with PistolPete, Emil, Bruce and Lenny ahead of me, I'd have time to prepare for the pain at the pointy end.  A fair portion of last weeks southerly still blew but it didn't bother me five wheels from the business end.  (thinks....I hope Lenny felt limp, I'd be follow up to his turn)  

As we've come to expect Emil had the throttle wide open for his turn to Central Kialla, thank heaven a weekend's worth of paving had left his legs "doughy".  You can count on Bruce to keep the line together, not too heavy on the horsepower early, just considerately up to speed to tow us to River Rd intact.  Lenny did the subtle start too, but when he reached his cruising speed I was well into zone four by the bridge.  And he hadn't finished yet!   There was little left in the tank at the dip when Lenny finally conceded the lead but a sense of duty kept my momentum up.  Hope I hadn't missed the quarter horse gate in the darkness 'cause that's all the head would let me do driving at this pace, the first sign of that white timber and my elbow spontaneously twitched.  All yours Kreeky, but let me catch the tail first!   That growling bear groaned a little till my heart rate got out of the clouds, most features now back in focus by the time we'd reached rooster corner.   

Bo took the charge into Coach Rd while I attempted to sight who was next to head the hurry, hoping there'd be one or two who'd turn down the tempo a tad.  An oncoming bike u-turned at the Broken bridges to jump aboard, Bruce backing off the rear to tow Trav aboard.   Kel then Tina obliged with a fraction off the fast, just the ticket for me to stock up on oxygen in preparation for the hurry to town.  The Godfather led the line into Old Dookie Rd but typically had the rearmost in the gutter. Again.  Hollers didn't help, it took close-up advice from Trav to correct his path but by then Central Ave was upon us.  PistolPete was typically tuned up for a swift shift to the truck route but the real anticipation was for Emil's explosion toward SPC.  The test was tenacity to hold that wheel!  Legs burned in the mid forties but being glued to the draft gave some satisfaction I'd survive to the end.

16/3 Serendipity.

The art of a late arrival to secure that last-in-line position wasn't quite mastered by BamBam, Gazza and Naomi had collared the caboose at the Kialla Lakes roundabout for Tuesday's tap.  Jase got the proceedings underway north to Channel Rd then east to the truck route with Shorty, NearlyRetiredTrev, Ralphy, Joe (not Tony), BamBam, Gazza and Naomi behind.  Already the calculations had me doing the Central Ave to the cypress trees leg.....into the breeze of course!  Shorty got the short 1200 metre turn to Orrvale and NearlyRetiredTrev did the ChaCha.  I'd get a great draft if he was a foot taller! (no complaints though, mid thirties was manageable)  That drive south on Central wasn't so bad, so I added another 2 k's at the cypress trees to get to the S bend before letting Ralphy loose at the lead (ulterior motive ; avoiding the wind head-on in Coach Rd)  Joe (not Tony) opened his account toward the Broken bridges with BamBam behind, ready to relieve.  He got that task at One Tree Dam.   

Gazza was given the lead at River Rd and looked determined to drive a distance, still spinning at the front as we'd swung west on Mitchell with no sign of let-up.  Naomi was being slow roasted behind.  Not until the dog-leg did Gazza give up the drivers seat (Naomi understandably calling it quits too) so Jase was back in the lead at short notice, keeping the speed stable to Euroa Rd. Shorty and NearlyRetiredTrev divided the distance to Archer Rd.  My turn was up again so I aimed at the highway.  That 3.5 metre ascent at Dave's Dip has gotta rank as a category one in these parts!   Ralphy checked all were aboard before making his charge toward Roubaix, NearlyRetiredTrev did retire there to roll solo into town but the remaining eight were fixated on a fast finish.   Gazza was back at the business end nearing Arcadia Downs and I wondered what distance he had in mind this time (I'll bet Naomi was muttering "not again!")    I  might be in with a chance at the finish the way this was panning out?  

Naomi called it a day at the kink into Conrod, Gazza using the first dip to launch into the mid forties.  Jase and I jumped at the chance to get on Gazza's wheel (others who missed the move were now resolved to roll to the end) and played the waiting game till the time was right.  Let's hope there wasn't an early elbow!  Gazz was off the seat with a 100 to go but a long lead-out had left his legs limp, Jase jumped just as I hit the boost button.  Maybe the draft of two gave me a one-up advantage, I just got a wheel ahead at the last dip to edge forward for a rather rare win.  Suffering speechless to the skinny bridge is such a pleasurable pain.

17/3  Reality.

Col caught me crawling to the grid, my subtle snails pace in an attempt to berth last had been exposed. (I should have known that was The Godfather's job!) Third wheel was better than first I suppose, there was a hint of a southerly to deal with (and that was PistolPete's job!) Bo, Jen, Tina, Kel and The Godfather made up the line of eight.   At this rate Id get the north drive to River Rd and on paper, I'd get that slight southerly behind.  Col drove the right side of Mitchell which confirmed that breeze (could have fooled me, it felt like a headwind in every direction!)   Given the lead through Central Kialla the pressure was on to perform (and I couldn't  feel a fraction of help from behind )  

I'd got up to speed but there was a battle to keep it there ; was someone hanging onto the seat post for a free tow or was weakening wattage to blame?  I was more than happy to oblige the "reduce speed" sign arriving at River Rd, Kel took the team east as I sought the draft at the rear.  Getting my breath back well before the bridge was a change (there's usually a battle till the dip) but I won't get my hopes up on new found fitness just yet!  Tina found the form to drive to the dip (I'd be flying the white flag a day after a 150k ride) and Jen's performance goes faster and further each week.  Bo dialed up a little more pace to rooster corner.  

Most were questioning just where that wind was coming from, whatever the direction it had better start helping! The Godfather did a surprisingly straight and steady shift to the highway while I'd predicted Pistol would take us to Old Dookie and Col to Central Ave.....that means I'd better get my head ready for another turn.   The sudden appearance of a car on Central Ave changed the usual call of "Clear!" to "Have a look!", Col and I had already committed to cross but the rest chose the safer option to halt.  I'd at least get half a moment to catch a breath or two before starting my shift.  Half way to Dobson's and the crew had collected behind, and with that rare respite I was primed to drive to the truck route. (Kel would be kind on the SPC shift so I didn't need a lot in the reserve tank getting there) 

18/3  Solitary.

It's easy to be drawn into the bunch ritual, soak up the social stuff and pumping-up your average speed (and ego with it) but there's an expectation of keeping up.  My legs craved a change....and some form of calm.  (Foss had been flogging that dead horse again!)     It had been a while since cruising a solo lap and not having that pressure of pace was rather appealing.  A less than thirty therapy would do me nicely!  Maybe I could take on the Friday and Saturday speed with renewed wattage.  (Maybe I'd wake up and fall out of bed!)  The intention to tap a quiet lap was weighted against the competitive corner of the cranium wanting a decent speed so there was a bit of a battle between the wills of thrash and therapy.  It may have been better to turn the Garmin off!  That speed right under your nose is temptation for tempo isn't it?  Choosing Lemnos-Cosgrove outbound and New Dookie inbound removed the bait to chase bunches (or be hunted down), there was only kilometres of darkness out there to pursue.  Isolation does things to your senses, even at a sluggish speed I felt a breeze trying to slow me further.  I'd properly zoned out heading east, cruising along in my own little world listening to the Michelin's music on the tarmac....... nek minit I'm half way to Cosgrove's phone exchange.  (I'd overshot the Cosgrove North runway hiding in the dark!)  Southbound to the church felt the real direction of that breeze then steered west toward town, a few eastbound B doubles carrying enough wind behind them to suppress any thoughts of a fast return.  Head down trying to hold a steady 86 cadence was the contentment ; small things amuse small minds! 

19/3  Kit couture.

Maybe that sedate solo yesterday had put me in a better frame of mind for speed?  A rather rare windless morning probably helped the mood too!  Jen, Col, Emil, PistolPete, Kreeky, Kel, Bo and Tina congregated at Sanctuary Drive for the Friday fling ...now better known as Couldabeen's kit day.  
A co-ordination of couture for the crew if you like.  (Builds the team spirit and all that stuff)  Naturally PistolPete started the wheels turning, though a car intent on rolling through the roundabout and refusing to give way made for an interesting start.  (tip to driver ; If you must drive like a half wit, don't do it in the company car with work's logo clearly displayed!  I hope Doyles bus drivers do give way?)  

The fragmented line was soon re-united and PistolPete turned up the tempo beyond the truck route, Bo doing the second shift to Euroa Rd at a similar spin.  Emil copied to River Rd contrary to his complaints of feeling drained.  I always look forward to Kel and Tina's smoothness with a chance to catch a breath or two with a touch trimmed off the tempo.  Kreeky's wheel was a good sit while I waited till duty called. The rooster called me to be captain in Coach Rd.  Deliberately taking a hundred metres to get back up to pace didn't drain the tank too quickly and by One Tree Dam hopes were higher than normal of surviving a decent turn, I'd see what protest the legs had at the bridges and decide the drive from there.  (Not too bad as it happens!)  Let's see if the engine was miss-firing at Channel Rd? 

That ever-so-slight incline needed an extra shot of muscle to keep the speed respectable but as I'd made it this far, another 600 metres to the highway wouldn't hurt.  (Oh, yes it did!)   Jen was gentle on the accelerator along Boundary Rd and made a good impression reaching the Fig Farm as Col continued his sit in the caboose ( how convenient that his headlight had emptied itself of volts to prevent a contribution at the front!)  A trifecta of train drivers had lined up for a fast finish so focus was honed on hurt, PistolPete did his bit to Central Ave while I prepared for more punishment from Bo.  Wasn't I lucky there was a fraction left at the truck route, Emil's finale was faster!

This week  283 km    YTD  3,077 km       
                              

No comments:

Post a Comment