Friday, August 6, 2021

The matter of mind over muscles

 Post #610

2/8 Trial by temperature


Is this the coldest, wettest, most miserable winter on record, or is it just me?  Maybe it's global cooling?  Saturday was saturated and Sunday had more pressing priorities, so my Monday-itis was magnified seeing 'feels like minus one' on the local observatory.  The routine of applying all those layers of insulation is now an automatic ritual.  Thoughts swung to speed just a k down the road, temperature was no longer an issue when I considered the Sanctuary squad's velocity after two days off the bike.  Emil cruised the commute to Sanctuary while I nudged the red-line trying to keep up ; still, it's a great introduction for the pace to come.  


Things looked grim at the grid with just PistolPete, Tina, Bruce, Emil and I lined up at 5:39, thankfully Bo, Kel, JJ and Kreeky arrived at the third stroke of 5:40 to lighten the load.  I had a visual challenge of reflective socks and a tail-light aimed right at my eye in forth wheel behind JJ, so I suppressed going epileptic and zoned in on Bruce's smooth pace toward Central Kialla.  JJ took the lead for the northern assault to River Rd and trying to find the ideal slipstream (challenge #2 ; he's built like a matchstick with the wood scraped off!) the call of puncture ended my search for that draft.   How serene the pit-stop was with the Godfather missing - I'll admit the entertainment was left lacking though.  Emil and Tina tapped ahead.  JJ had the tube replaced and wheel fitted, then got the feel of the Pirelli with the puny pressure of the CO2 as Pistol did the driving north to River then east to the bridge. 


The post-puncture reshuffle had me at second wheel but Pistol's smoothness made the speed sufferable.  Luck had it that I scored the shorter shift to the dip, telling myself the downhill off the bridge should make it easy  (yeah....as if!) Jokes aside, progress was pleasing, so much so that I added 200 metres before handing over to Bruce at Trevaskis Rd.  Bruce bumped me off my high horse in a hurry, going the distance to rooster corner (without so much as a sweat raised) to humble my contribution. Some form of focus returned when Kreeky calmed the velocity on the north shift to the Broken bridges.  Tina and Emil's red leds ahead blinked a "come get me" to Rocket (not that he needs any encouragement) for his shift to the highway.   


With  just seven swapping the suffering there'd be a second contribution needed before the lap was done, little stress though with the pace considerately set just under the "I want my mummy" level.  Bruce drove the long leg to Central Ave and Pistol paced the turn to the truck route perfectly, so the squirt to SPC would be my swansong.  There was a surprise finding forty on the speedo when I finally felt the Garmin was worth a glance, sustaining the speed easy on the billiard table surface of Old Dookie Rd....till the Wheeler St traffic lights ruined the rush. An omen really, Tina and Emil had halted to wave a caution for a slick SPC roundabout.


4/8  The punctured predicament.


Full throttle and fast just wasn't happening!  Two rows had formed for a change for Wednesday's circuit and being berthed between Wozza and Boof probably didn't help the head, but it was "go easy Wednesday" where all the factions are catered for.   Half way to River Rd and I had to call Boof across for a draft, there wasn't the watts left to drive the next k.  I'd put it down to a dose of softness and the west northwester blowing at the left brow.  Bruce and Rocket led the line (Greg, PistolPete, Tina, Bo, Emil, Kel, The Godfather, Laura and Kreeky) east toward the dip so speed should have been easy with the wind blowing up the backside but I was still getting no output for my input.  The smallest bump at the quarter horse gates felt the rim kiss the tarmac.  There's your problem Foss!  The deflation sensation was both physical and mental.  


The sense of urgency is strong while 13 stand in the cold waiting (feels like minus 0.4) particularly when it delays the caffeine consumption, but with haste comes the fumbles locating the puncture and changing the tube.  An unseated bead with the first inflation didn't help but take two worked.  Now.....to lock in those cleats in the dark as the team rolled away!  Finally aboard near Rooster corner, the slower pace in Coach Rd let me get some breath back.  That westerly made it's presence felt.  Bo delivered a short shift to the Broken bridges (much to the displeasure of The Godfather), Kel and Emil putting the perk back into the pace bound for Old Dookie Rd.  Sledges seemed to silence as The Godfather played pilot into the westerly, Bruce and Rocket playing havoc with hurry when they'd inherited the driving seats.  My conscience craved the extra 30 psi that the CO2 won't deliver, the headwind and being second wheel to Rocket's low profile adding to the defeatist's argument.  I sought refuge in the left line rather than explode in the advance.  Excitement brewed with the bolt to the truck route (so much for the "go easy" theory) but the final fling to SPC showed some restraint (thankfully Tuesday's rain had cleared the roundabout of it's slick Monday coating)

5/8  Six squirrels. 


A calm has come over Thursday mornings of late, siding with the (slightly) slower Squirrels not only puts therapy into Thursdays but I reckon it's  motivating a few rusty ones to soldier on through winter.  In a few short weeks hibernators will begin their cautious comeback and that's when the soldiers reap their rewards.  Ain't nothing like the smell of a burning come-back kid in a bunch!  (well, a few short weeks might be a tad optimistic) The Archer St shop start-line drew Emil, Tina, Bo, Kel and Kim to assemble at 5:30, a single filed spin east on Channel Rd a sweet start to the 30 k course with a westerly behind.  I was guessing the way back to town would be work.  Setting a suitable squirrel speed was left up to Emil (directly proportional to the angst your partner serves up eh Emil?)  and he'd found an accord in the mid 30's to the truck route.  With a note made of the velocity, I stuck to it for my shift to Orrvale so surely Bo wouldn't f&#% it up?  He didn't, keeping the calm to the Kinder.  Kel opened for the ladies innings with a trademark smooth shift to the cypress trees, Tina taking the 1600 metre measure to the S bend without any trouble on tempo (those concerns about capability are unfounded. I'll guess considerate company helps along with a serve of tail wind)   


Kim quite wisely chose a short roll through ; riding has been rare of late and she'd be toasted staying on the front too long.  Emil started round two of the turns to take us to the highway and I was light on the throttle when handed the lead in Boundary but got the appeal to ease at Hosie Rd.  Call it a calm k for Kim who'd become the uncoupled caboose.  With due diligence speed was slowly restored to a simmer at the fig farm, crossing Old then New Dookie and up to Lemnos-Cosgrove to sample the hurt of a headwind west back to town.  It clearly had no effect on Kel, driving determined to Lemnos North Rd with wattage to burn.  No troubles for Tina too, surviving the second wheel syndrome then fronting for Ford Rd duty.  Emil was elected to tow us to town so I'd managed to avoid the headwind, but happily contributed the Verney Rd shift south, soaking up the smoothness of the  tarmac. 

6/8  Laboring lock-down.


A comfortable chair, hot coffee, feels like 4 on the weather app and with the state plunged back into lock-down, I could feel the softness swamping me!  There were a dozen reasons to go back to bed so just as well I'd arranged to labor a lock-down lap with Joe (not Tony) to get my lazy backside out of that chair!  20 k's worth of wind blew Friday's fog east so that amplified abilities to join Joe at Verney's bus stop.  The monotony of laps limited to 5 k's from home was already beginning to show, variety was requested to our usual Covid circuit to make life a little more interesting.  Anti-clockwise was the best I could come up with!  East on Old Dookie Rd was delightful but I didn't want to be labeled a tail-wind thief, so let Joe (not Tony) enjoy the second half to Central Ave (I was banking on his help into the wind for the return to town)   I could count on one hand the days of fog and wind combined: it was a weird sensation to be bullied by the breeze at the port side while wiping the specs to see the soup tin ahead at Lemnos.  In the spirit of sharing pleasure and pain, we did Lemnos North Rd 50/50  to reach Ford.  


Joe faced the headwind first, my eye peeled on his elbow for a flinch as his initial speed steadily sank.  Dogged determination drove him further than I thought.  Tamboro Rd became the hand-over and out of the slipstream reality had a capital R.  Was I carrying an extra 4 kg of damp from the fog?  (Felt like it!)  With an aim of reaching Verney Rd, balancing the watts with the willpower became a matter of mind over muscles.  Finally near and intending to swing south onto Verney, Joe (not Tony) had ideas of working to Mt. Wanganui, so took the drivers seat to DECA.  How pleasant to do that open section from the test track to Rudd Rd, being blown backwards with the wind whistling past (between?) your ears!  The relief in Rudd Rd inspired me to continue to Canterbury's roundabout, Joe (not Tony) happy to be blown along the Boulevard and Balaclava to bring us back to the bus stop.  Time allowed another loop, this lap with a change of duties from the first.  We'll be running low on variety soon! I had the second half to Central and carried on to New Dookie Rd, Joe (not Tony) making it to Ford for me to take the headwind first.  This loop forced a turn south on Verney, time was soon to be my enemy but at least I'd stirred from that comfortable chair and gone beyond the comfort of a solo spin.  

This week 182 km    YTD  8,079 km                 

No comments:

Post a Comment